~ This is a guest post contributed by Katherine Sullivan, editor at IrishItalianBlessings.com. ~
Stress is unavoidable. It’s something that almost everyone experiences at one time or another. The best way to handle stress, is to find some techniques that work for you and put them into action when you’re feeling overwhelmed.
To get you started, here’s an easy list of ways you can reduce stress and get yourself back on track:
1) Deep Breaths – It’s a technique used by many medical professionals. Taking deep breaths opens the lungs, it gives your heart a chance to slow down, and breathing exercises actually relax you. If you’re feeling that heavy tension, try to take a few deep breaths and bring yourself back to a calmer state.
2) Music – Music makes the soul happy! Try turning on some of your favorite tunes. Bob Marley can put just about anyone into a more relaxed state.
If he isn’t your style, try some jazz or country. Whatever music makes you happy will help you shake your funk.
3) Take a Bath – Ahhhhh….just imagining a bath helps relax many people. If you find yourself stressed out, find time to just take a bath. Throw in some bubbles or some bath salts for an extra aromatherapy treatment. No time for a bath?
Take a hot shower! I’ve never heard a complaint about a hot shower being stressful. It gives you time to relax those muscles, clear your mind, and you’re getting clean all at the same time. Bonus!
4) Read – Grab that book that you love, curl up on the couch, and immerse yourself in the story. Reading helps you forget about all the worries of your life so you can enjoy what the book shares with you.
It’s a great way to free your mind and give yourself a break.
5) Walk – Going for a walk is a GREAT way to relieve stress. Just going outside can be a mood lifter. A little exercise never hurt anyone and it’s releases those endorphins which make you: HAPPY.
Listen to your surroundings and take in the nature, the birds, the rain, whatever surrounds you and just try to enjoy it. No need to run or walk fast, just a comfortable stroll is enough to change your mood.
To reduce stress you have to be active. Choose to be active in making your life a little easier for you. Next time you’re feeling stressed out, try one or all of these techniques and see if you feel better!
~ Thank you Katherine for this wonderful and informative post! ~
© 2013, Dee @ Bella Savvy. All rights reserved.