Schools out for summer and that means kids are spending more time outside. It also means more adults are outside gardening, grilling and just enjoying the warmer weather.
This increases the chances of coming into contact with poison ivy, poison oak, sumac and stinging insects. ICK!
While the thought of that may make you want to run for cover, it’s best that you prepare yourself just in case a family member experiences an extreme allergic reaction (something we don’t want!).
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You’ve heard that before, right? hehee.
Tips for treating summers itchy ouchies:
If you or a child comes into contact with poison ivy, oak or sumac…
First, wash the area(s) with soap and water thoroughly. It’s the poisonous resin from these plants that causes irritation and/or an allergic reaction when it comes into contact with your body.
Poison Ivy looks like…
a vine-y 3-leaf plant!
To relieve itching, apply calamine lotion, or hydrocortisone cream. You can also try taking an oatmeal bath by adding dry oats to pantyhose, then tying a knot in the end and hanging it from your bath faucet. The stream of water creates a “milk” when mixed with the oats and helps soothe and soften skin. An oral antihistamine such as Benedryl helps relieve the itching and decrease inflammation.
Common symptoms of exposure — rash, redness, itching and blisters.
Try to avoid scratching, as this may cause scarring.
If you or a child is stung by a bee, wasp, or yellow jacket…
First, remove the stinger by gently pushing it out with tweezers. Using your fingers may squeeze venom back into your skin.
Next, clean the wound with soap and water.
And lastly, apply ice to the sting and use a hydrocortisone cream for pain.
If you or a family member experiences an extreme allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing, swelling of the lips or tongue, or loses consciousness, contact your doctor immediately or call 911.
© 2012, Dee @ Bella Savvy. All rights reserved.